Sunday, August 5, 2012

Bucket Chairs and Fab Finds!

Hi all, I'm going to do a two-for-one linky party post- part Made-It-Monday, part Fab-Find-Friday.

Made-It #1: I've been using these Ugly-But-Functional Lowes buckets for small group seating for the past two years- they're great because they have no legs (they can't get tangled together!) and they're really easy to put up for vacuuming. Also, if necessary, you can cram more kids in at the table on buckets than on big, cumbersome chairs.


Anyway, my friend at work saw the bucket-seat idea and she went out and bought some, but her husband made PADS for them!! They were so cute, I had to give it a shot. -My friend's hub used plywood to make a cover for the bucket- but that's too hard for me... and plywood's kind of expensive!
Before and after! It's almost magic!! :)
Here are some pics at the Kidney Table- notice that they slide all the way under and look WAY less cluttered than with chairs!


So here's what I did AFTER spray-painting the buckets with Krylon Fusion plastic paint (*UPDATE* I do NOT recommend Krylon fusion paint! Mine got scratched up even after the seven day cure time. I may not have shaken the paint long enough, but I would definitely not try it again! You can just buy colored buckets in the shade you want!:)
1. Trace the top of the bucket onto folded in half, inside out fabric. Do this for as many circles as you need.
2. Cut around the circle you traced- but leave 1/2 inch or so so you can just sew right on your trace line.
3. Sew and stuff- This is really easy if you have a sewing machine and minimal skills. I didn't pin or measure ANYTHING- Trust me- my sewing skills are limited to fixing ripped seams. I promise.
4. Staple those bad boys down to the bottom of the buckets. Staple on opposite sides to keep it smooth. I used 12-16 staples per bucket to make them look smooth. Here's a little tutorial on stapling your buckets. I know it's kinda dull- but it will help you make it look neat.
My How To Staple Video!

5. Stand with your hands on your hips to admire your cute, little stool! That's IT!

Made-It #2: Word of the Day Flip Chart and PDF'
Well, since I'm moving to a new grade, I need to remake some of my stuff so it matches sixth grade content. Last week, I remade two of my Word of the Day flipcharts and they are WAY cuter now. I even made the fruit clip art! :) Plus, they include Kagan structures and review games to make vocab instruction cooperative. I also made a copy in PDF form for those of you who don't have the free AvtivInspire software. You can get them for FREE in my TN store.



Okay, now on to my Fab Finds!
Yesterday, I ran into Hobby Lobby to buy even MORE of the bucket fabric (I had to make pads for 12!!) when I saw this little gem for 50% off:
Only $5.00 for this metal sign! YAY!
 We're using stoplight planners for schoolwide behavior management next year- so I thought it would be SO perfect in my room!



I also bought a shoe organizer from Amazon- I'm waiting for it to be delivered via PRIME (my favorite ever!) When I get it, I'm going to cut out the rows to make my own cuter, better version of the Kagan Team Tubs (kinda like a supply caddy for tables.) I'm going to hot-glue magnets to the back to make a storage caddy that takes up NO desk space! They will just stick to the front of the desks.  I'm so anxious to get started on my FINAL project for the summer. I think they're going to turn out amazing! I'll show you next week!!

Thanks for stopping by! If you're reupholstering anything, leave me a link! I'd love to see your furniture makeovers!!


23 comments:

  1. Your buckets turned out great!! I've thought of doing the crate seats, but these may be what I need to do!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah- these were pretty easy! And they're taller than the crates- which is nice. If you do it, send me a link! I'd love to see how yours turn out!!

      Delete
  2. Hi, Kayla!
    I'm so glad I found you! I love using technology in the classroom too so I look forward to reading more from you! I also can't wait to see your version of the Kagan Team Tubs!

    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOOOOVE how bright and shiny your buckets turned out. What a great twist on crate seats and ottomans! :) Excited to see how your shoe organizer turns out. Sounds like a cute idea! I need so much help with organization so I love new ideas! :)

    Amanda
    Reaching for the TOP!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the bucket seats!!! How did you staple them to the bucket?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check out the video in the post! It gives all the details! :)

      Delete
  5. Hey Kayla!
    I'm your newest follower!!

    I'm making bucket seats too! My hubs is a farmer so I got the buckets from him. Had to do lots of washing out, but at least they were free...hmm...take that back! They cost him plenty! But anyway, I have a friend down the road who is a carpenter. He's doing the wood for the top for me free! So bonus! I'm going to staple the fabric to the wood after I cover it with some kind of foam.

    Check out my new blog and become a follower. I will post my bucket seats when I get them done!

    Susan
    owlroom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love, love your bucket seats! They turned out GREAT!! :)

    Amanda
    Teaching Maddeness

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the bucket seats and your tutorial was great! Thanks for linking up with your fabulous find. I love your stoplight from Hobby Lobby. I've been thinking more and more about Amazon Prime lately, too :)

    Elizabeth

    Fun in Room 4B

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your bucket seats are awesome! And my hubs is thankful for the advertising-he works for Lowe's! As soon as I saw your buckets I asked him if he could get me some, and his response was, "Why can't you just use chairs?" Hehe! Sometimes they don't understand! Anyway, they look fabulous and your students are going to love them!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know this is late- I've been hitting email respond. But thank you! :)

      Delete
  9. Thinking about making these bucket seats for my classroom! Was wondering how much fabric you used?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I responded to this via email- but I think it was around 1 1/2 or 2 yards.

      Delete
  10. I made the buckets...using your exact instructions and they have come out absolutely great! BUT I just noticed that the paint is scratching off! I used the Krylon fusion paint for plastic...so I'm not sure why it's coming off. Any ideas? The only tip I've read online says I'd have to take all the paint off (AHHH!),prime it with Rustoleum and then repaint....I just SO don't have time for that! There must be a quick fix!!! Think Mod Podge might work? I've never used it...not a crafty gal. Please! Anybody! Help!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh noo! I'm so sorry to hear that! I wish I had updated my blog sooner to say that I had problems with scratching, too. :-( I looked online and it said that it should be scratch resistant within seven days- but mine weren't either. People said it was really important to shake the can for the full two minutes to make sure the paint is thoroughly mixed. I'm pretty sure I didn't do that.
      Mine got ruined in my classroom fire after about 6 months- so I just bought some solid black ones. But I did read that you can put a clear coat of spray paint polyurethane to help protect it.
      Again, I'm so sorry I didn't update the post to say that! I will do it now!

      Delete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How much did you pay for the buckets? What particular brand? I don't want to get something too cheap and have it collapse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were $2 each or something at Lowe's. I wouldn't recommend getting black ones because hair and dirt are really visible when they cling to the sides. I did a Donors Choose project and replaced my chairs with Wobble Core chairs and we love them! That's just something else to consider. :)

      Delete
  13. I cannot get your video to load :( it says the address is invalid. Is there a trick to get it to work?

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are great and this visual girl appreciates your video. Only thing I'm going to do differently is cushion the lids rather than the bottoms so they can be used for storage if I need it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. wonder if this wold work with soccer balls cut in half? for bouncy kids

    ReplyDelete